The drugmaker Regeneron said on Wednesday that it had submitted an application to the Food and Drug Administration for emergency approval of the experimental antibody cocktail that President Trump had praised just hours earlier without evidence as a “cure” for the coronavirus.

The company said access to the treatment would be extremely limited at first, with only enough doses for 50,000 patients, a far cry from the “hundreds of thousands” of doses that Mr. Trump, in a video released on Wednesday, said he would soon be making available to Americans free of charge.

In the five-minute video, Mr. Trump said that it was a “blessing from God” that he had been infected with the coronavirus and that the Regeneron cocktail had suddenly made him feel better. “I felt unbelievable,” he said. “I felt good immediately.”

There is no evidence that the treatment is the reason he was feeling better, and his doctors have said he has taken other drugs as well.

Mr. Trump gave the impression that he would push the F.D.A. to approve Regeneron’s treatment, even though the agency’s scientists are supposed to make independent decisions about approvals.

“I have emergency-use authorization all set, and we’ve got to get it signed now,” Mr. Trump said.

A spokeswoman for the F.D.A. declined to comment on Wednesday, saying the agency does not confirm or deny product applications.

The news of Regeneron’s application on the same day that Mr. Trump effusively praised the unproven drug is likely to intensify fears that the president is pressuring federal health agencies to make decisions aimed at benefiting him politically. In the video, Mr. Trump repeated his desire to get a vaccine approved before the election on Nov. 3, even though the vaccine makers themselves have said that is highly unlikely.

NYTIMES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.