New Zealand will extend its current coronavirus restrictions for another week as the country reported one new case on Monday.
“Cabinet has decided on a short extension to the current restrictions of alert level 2.5 for Auckland and level 2 for the rest of the country,” said Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern at a news briefing.
“For Auckland, cabinet will review the current level 2.5 settings at our meeting on Monday the 21st of September with a view to increase gathering limits for Auckland if we are in a similar position for containing the cluster,” she said.
If that change was agreed, the new measures would come into effect on September 23, according to Ardern.
“As we know more cases will emerge from this cluster’s tail, these cases can still continue to pose risks,” she warned.
Under the extended restrictions in Auckland, social gatherings are limited to 10 people while businesses can open as long as they follow social distancing guidelines.
Ardern said the cabinet had agreed “in principle” that the rest of New Zealand outside of Auckland will move to level 1 restrictions at 11:59 p.m. on September 21, as long as cases continue to “track as they are and maintaining the containment we have seen.”
She also praised New Zealand’s testing efforts. “Over 100,000 tests have taken place nationwide that have not shown any spread of the virus to date in other parts of New Zealand, despite the resumption of inter-regional travel,” she said.
So far, New Zealand has reported a total of 1,447 coronavirus infections and 24 deaths.
Source : CNN