Up to 40 stations on the London Underground network are to be shut as the city attempts to reduce the spread of the coronavirus outbreak.

Transport for London (TfL) announced there would be a partial shutdown of the network from Thursday morning.

There will be no night Tube and bus services will also be reduced, it said.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said people should not be travelling and warned services were “likely to reduce, potentially very significantly”.

Bakerloo line train
Image captionFewer people were travelling on the Bakerloo Line than during a normal rush hour

The move comes after Boris Johnson said the virus was spreading faster in London than other parts of the UK.

Latest government figures show there have been more than 900 confirmed cases of coronavirus in London and 34 people have died in the city.

Earlier this week, the prime minister urged people to work from home and to avoid bars, pubs and restaurants. Schools, meanwhile, will close from Friday.

Source: BBC News

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.