Port of Los Angeles estimates 25% decrease in volume due to COVID-19

0
142
SAN PEDRO, CALIFORNIA - NOVEMBER 07: An American flag flies with shipping containers stacked at the Port of Los Angeles in the background, which is the nation's busiest container port, on November 7, 2019 in San Pedro, California. Port officials said today October cargo volume was down 19 percent this year compared with October 2018 due to tariffs imposed in the U.S.-China trade war. The Port of Los Angeles along with neighboring Port of Long Beach are the United States' main gateways for trade with Asia. (Photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images)

The Port of Los Angeles has canceled 40 vessel calls and estimated it has experienced a 25% drop in overall volumes this month, Port of Los Angeles spokesman Phillip Sanfield told CNN.

The Port of Los Angeles is one of the world’s busiest seaports and the leading gateway for international trade in the Western Hemisphere, according to the port’s website.

The cancellations, which cover scheduled vessel calls between February 11 and April 1, represent about 25% of the port’s normal vessel calls during the time frame, Sanfield said.

The 25% decrease in overall volumes this month compared to February of last year is “largely due to coronavirus,” Sanfield said. He explained that trade war is a factor, but coronavirus is the main reason.

The port estimates an overall decrease for the first quarter of 2020 of about 15% compared to 2019, Sanfield added.

Source: CNN News

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.