South Africa to evacuate over 130 nationals from Wuhan

0
156

South Africa will evacuate 132 nationals from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak, according to a government statement. 

“Cabinet has decided on this course of action after due consideration of the circumstances, and following several requests from the families of South Africans in the city,” the statement said.

There are an estimated 199 South African citizens in Wuhan, and 132 of them have so far expressed desire to be repatriated.

“These compatriots are currently living under lockdown conditions following the outbreak of the coronavirus,” the statement said. 

None of the affected individuals have been diagnosed with the virus and none have shown symptoms, according to the statement. Upon arrival in South Africa, they will be placed in quarantine for 21 days as an additional precautionary measure. 

On Friday, Nigeria reported the first confirmed coronavirus case in sub-Saharan Africa.

Source: edition.cnn.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.