New Zealand’s report of its first coronavirus infection today follows more confirmed cases in countries including Spain, France, Nigeria and the UAE overnight, as outbreaks in South Korea, Italy and Iran continued to worsen.
The virus has now reached more than 50 countries and territories outside mainland China, with over 4,400 infections recorded and at least 70 deaths.
These are the worst-hit countries in each region of the world:
- Africa: Algeria, Egypt, Nigeria; 1 case each
- Asia: China; 78,824 cases, 2,788 deaths
- Asia (outside China): South Korea; 2,022 cases, 13 deaths
- Australasia: Australia; 22 cases
- Europe: Italy; 650 cases, 17 deaths
- Middle East: Iran; 245 cases, 26 deaths
- North America: United States; 60 cases
- South America: Brazil; 1 case