The first case of coronavirus in Wales has been confirmed.
Chief Medical Officer Dr Frank Atherton said the adult patient, from the Swansea area, had returned from northern Italy, where the virus was contracted.
Nineteen people have tested positive in the UK since the virus outbreak began in China.
Dr Atherton said the development was “not unexpected” and the patient was being treated at one of the four specialist units in England.
He said it was “inevitable” there would be more cases.
Dr Atherton said: “Our job is to prepare for a significant number of cases, for an epidemic in the UK, or a pandemic if it becomes a global issue.”
He said the Welsh patient had been tested on Thursday, adding: “They developed symptoms and contacted the NHS and were assessed by colleagues from Public Health Wales.”
He said: “All appropriate measures to provide care for the individual and to reduce the risk of transmission to others are being taken.
“I’d like to take this opportunity to assure the public that Wales and the whole of the UK is well prepared for these types of incidents.”
He said to protect the patient’s confidentiality no further details regarding the individual would be released.
Public Health Wales said it was is working hard to identify close contacts and taking all appropriate actions to reduce any risk to the public’s health.
Aneurin Bevan health board also tweeted to say the Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport was open, despite false reports over coronavirus.
Read more at BBC News