For the first time on Wednesday, the number of daily cases of the coronavirus reported outside China exceeded the number of those reported within the country where the outbreak began, according to the World Health Organization.
With countries including Denmark and Estonia reporting first confirmed cases today, the virus has now reached nearly 50 countries and territories outside mainland China, with more than 3,500 infections recorded and at least 58 deaths.
The virus has also reached every continent except Antarctica.
These are the worst-hit countries in each region of the world:
- Africa: Algeria, Egypt; 1 case each
- Asia: China; 78,497 cases, 2,744 deaths
- Asia (outside China): South Korea; 1,595 cases, 13 deaths
- Australasia: Australia; 22 cases
- Europe: Italy; 400 cases, 12 deaths
- Middle East: Iran; 139 cases, 19 deaths
- North America: United States; 60 cases
- South America: Brazil; 1 case