An official from China’s Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region has slammed accusations that Xinjiang has concealed the truth of the novel coronavirus situation in the region and expressed strong condemnation to the groundless reports.
Elijan Anayit, spokesperson for the Information Office of the People’s Government of Xinjiang, made the remarks on Saturday at a press conference in Urumqi.
Anayit said the government has noticed “frightening misinformation” spread by the “East Turkistan” forces overseas with regard to the issue, such as “Xinjiang’s vocational education and training centers face dissemination risks of the novel coronavirus” and “Chinese government could use the novel coronavirus to wipe out the one million Muslims interned in the concentration camps.”
“Since the outbreak of the coronavirus, Xinjiang has been firmly implementing the decisions and deployments on epidemic prevention and control by the CPC Central Committee, and putting the safety and health of people of all ethnic groups as a priority,” Anayit told reporters.
As of Friday midnight, Xinjiang had 76 confirmed cases of COVID-19, among which two were fatal. Twenty-four patients have recovered so far.
There have been no new cases in Xinjiang for four consecutive days, Anayit added.