Philippines’ 1st novel coronavirus patient discharged from hospital

0
181

MANILA, Philippines — The first case of novel coronavirus in the Philippine—a tourist from Wuhan, China—has been discharged from the hospital, the Department of Health said Monday.

This was after the 38-year-old woman tested negative for 2019 nCoV twice.

“The patient was discharged on Saturday. The last test done on Thursday or Friday turned out negative and that was the second negative test,” Health Undersecretary Eric Domingo said.

The woman was the companion of the 44-year-old man from Wuhan who died from the virus on February 1—the first fatality outside mainland China.

They traveled from the central Chinese city—the ground zero of the virus that has infected over 37,000 people worldwide—via Hong Kong. From there, they took a flight to Cebu, then flew to Dumaguete.

The couple sought medical help in San Lazaro Hospital, a referral facility for infectious and communicable diseases, on January 25.

Last week, the Philippines reported the third case of nCoV: a 60-year-old Chinese woman, who has since returned to China.

The number of patients under investigation for possible novel coronavirus infection who are currently admitted in various hospitals stood at 261 as of Monday noon.

The virus has already killed more than 900 people in China, with most of the deaths concentrated in Hubei province. 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.